Advanced Wavemaker Design
The important Edinburgh Engineering research contributions to wave tank design are:
- Design of absorbing wavemakers  for the accurate, controlled generation of waves in test tanks
- Implementation of a curved tank, with associated computer drive, to make more effective use of small facilities 
- Design and construction of the world's first wave and current test tank facility 
Edinburgh Designs Ltd (EDL), the original spin-out company, has become the world-leading supplier of wave-making technology for scientific and recreational facilities, with designs in 19 countries. Since 2008 EDL has:
- Supplied the COAST laboratory at Plymouth University
- Installed wave-making equipment in the 260m Marin Depressurised Wave Basin at Waginengen in the Netherlands for ship-towing tests
- Created the flood scenes for 2012 film The Impossible from the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami
- Commissioned the Manoeuvring and Sea Keeping Basin for the US Navy in Maryland, the largest computer-controlled wave tank in the world for testing ship models
EDL and ERPE researchers collaborated in 2002 on the construction of the Edinburgh Curved Tank in 2002 . This led to the design and construction of the world's first wave and current tank. This All-UK Waters Combined Wave and Current Test Facility is managed by the subsidiary company FloWave TT Ltd.
"Stephen Salter and his colleagues have provided many technical advances in the design of wavemakers which have been installed worldwide through the spin-out company EDL. This world-leading technical capability has enabled the construction of the new FloWave facility, which gives the UK a world-wide lead in simulating ocean conditions for testing tidal and wave energy devices." Chief Scientific Advisor, Department for Energy and Climate Change.
Further information on Edinburgh Designs Ltd, is available at: http://www.edesign.co.uk/.
 Taylor, J.R.M., Rea, M. and Rogers, D.J., "The Edinburgh Curved Tank", Proceedings 5th European Wave Energy Conference, Cork, Ireland, 2003. www.mech.ed.ac.uk/research/wavepower/0-Archive/EWPP%20archive/2003%20The%20Edinburgh%20curved%20tank.pdf
 Maguire, A.E. and Ingram, D.M., "On Geometric Design Considerations and Control Methodologies for Absorbing Wavemakers", Coastal Engineering, Vol. 58, no. 2, 135-142, 2011. DOI:10.1016/j.coastaleng.2010.09.002